Wednesday, August 29, 2018

As You See It Animal Outing

Hello stampers! I hope your day is fabulous so far. I am so glad you are joining me today. I wanted to share something I did last week. I am so excited!!!

Last week, my mother-in-law was in town for a few days. She asked if I wanted to do freezer corn while she was here. Of course, I did!!! We just love fresh, freezer corn. I know, that doesn't make sense but about 45 minutes up the road from St. George, UT, there is a little town called Enterprise. They are famous for their corn that they grow up there. They even have a huge "Corn Festival" every August. Folks, this is the sweetest, tenderest corn you have ever eaten in your entire life! Seriously! You haven't had good corn unless it is Enterprise corn.

Anyways, we got together in the afternoon and started shucking. This isn't my favorite part, but it has to be done. I hate it when you find a caterpillar in them. Yuck! I know they don't hurt you, but it is so gross because they can make things a bit mushy. Ick! After we shucked about two, big boxes of corn, it was time to go inside and start cleaning it. This is the absolute worst part. You know what I mean. Having to get all those little hairs off of the cob. Ugh! Not fun. Luckily, my MIL and I took turns so neither of us had to do it all. 

After getting it all cleaned, we started blanching it in batches. This is where you bring the corn to a boil and let it boil for 3 minutes. You then put it in a clean sink full of cold water and ice. Let that cool and then let the cobs drip dry on a towel. After they have dripped for a bit, you take and cut all that lovely corn off the cobs into a large bowl. We then put the corn in pint size, Ziploc bags and freeze them. 

Here is the fruits (or shall I say, veggies) of our labor (That was bad, I know):


We did 41 pint bags of corn! I am so excited!!! We love this stuff. 

AnyHoo... I digress. On to what you probably came to see. A card.

 I used the sketch over at As You See It. Here is my card:


And here is the sketch:



I love the repetition of images near the bottom of the sketch. I was going through my stamps and was looking to see what image would work. I had candles, but I wanted something different than what was on the sketch. I kept looking and found my "Animal Outing". I received this stamp set at Stampin' Up!'s April OnStage and had yet to ink it up. I can't believe it! It is such a darling set and I have seen some super cute samples made using it. Before I go further, let me share with you my color palette:


Here is what I did with the sketch:


I took that darling giraffe and stamped him a few times across the middle of the card. Here's the cool part, the DSP that coordinates with this stamp set, "Animal Expedition", has images that can be cut out with the coordinating dies, "Animal Friends Thinlits". Isn't that awesome? I love that because I really wanted to use this sentiment for this card and have two giraffes looking at each other, but the giraffe only looks to the right. Hmmm....what to do. Well, on a sheet of the DSP, there are giraffes that look to the right AND the left! I cut out the giraffe looking to the right and then took the sheet of DSP and held it up to my window (you could use a light box, but I don't have one.) and lightly traced the giraffe on the opposite side. I then put the die on my penciled giraffe and cut it out. Cool, huh?  I placed them facing each other and put them on dimensionals. I used this fabulous leaf ribbon to finish off the card. I love it!


A small sentiment from "Itty Bitty Greetings" and a strip of DSP and the inside was finished. 

Thanks for visiting today. Make sure to subscribe to my blog by signing up with your email to the right. I look forward to seeing you again!

2 comments:

  1. I learned a lot from reading your post today, Mindy,from how to freeze corn to how you managed to get the two giraffe images to face each other! Very clever! And a clever way of using our sketch! I love your colour palette and choice of paper. Thanks for joining us at As You See It Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish I'd thought of using Animal Outing for this sketch. It's perfect! I like the way the pair are coloured while the rest are in outline. It really focuses on them. I was interested in your explanation on how you got them talking to each other like that. I don't have the paper but I got the same effect using the Stamparatus to mirror stamp. Thanks so much for sharing this sweetie with us at As You See It.

    ReplyDelete